Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Midsommar

 I think there were three or four people who told me "I hated this movie but I think you'd really like it" and they were correct.

I really, really liked Midsommar.

I thought the film was beautiful and the gruesome visuals were arresting and memorable in a way that I know I'll be thinking about for years. I understood both why Dani would be so seduced by the cult and why it was so frightening that the cult was seducing her. Christian is delightfully shitty and the constant low-grade background horror is very artfully done.

I particularly liked the hallucinogenic dilation of the flowers on the May Queen crown and the background effects of melting skylines and twisting trees that made the unreality so pervasive.

I am super into this movie. This is a good movie. I like it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment