Thursday, March 12, 2015

You can't take the sky from me


My sister got me this comic for Christmas and now I'm not sure what to do. It's the fourth collected arc in the series and I liked it a lot, but comics are expensive. So I may get more of them, but I'm equally likely to camp out in a bookstore for a little while and just read them in one go - this was a MUCH quicker read than I'd expected (maybe half an hour to forty minutes instead of the hour and a half that I'd budgeted).

It's nice to read up more on the crew of Serenity - the film kind of kicks you in the gut if you're a fan of Firefly so it's really pleasant to know that the story continues from there. I guess the question is if the story is worth it.

Since I came in in the middle of the expanded plot I don't have a hell of a lot to say here - the characters speak in voices that are very true to the Whedonverse, which isn't always great in a comic format. Some of the art is fantastic and really easy to identify as characters we've met before but sometimes it's a little hard to tell who you're looking at from panel to panel (I got Kaylee and River and Inara mixed up kind of a lot). There's a little bitty free-comic-book-day standalone story at the end of this book that has really simple art, but that comic does a better job of rendering some of the characters than the lovingly illustrated and colored pages in the rest of the book.

All in all I'm not disappointed because I didn't come in with a hell of a lot of expectations for this comic, and I'm cautiously optimistic that the other collections will be worth the money to add them to my collected Firefly gear. Zack Whedon did a good job of scripting the story and making the book feel like coming home to the 'Verse. Georges Jeanty, Karl Story, and Laura Martin did a great job with the art in general and it's certainly a well made series.

So I guess what I'm saying is this is a worthwhile read if you're into comics and into Firefly - if you're not into either of those things this is probably not the book for you.

Allie, Scott Ed. Serenity: Leaves on the Wind. Dark Horse. Millwaukie: Oregon. 2014.
     Zack Whedon: Script. Georges Jeanty: Pencils. Karl Story: Inks. Laura Martin: Colors.
     Michael Heisler: Letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment