Saturday, July 12, 2014

It's nice to be excited about the radio


My sister gave me Of Monsters and Men's My Head is an Animal for Christmas; I'd been hearing Little Talks on the radio for maybe two years at that point and had decided that the song absolutely kicked ass. Their other singles, Mountain Sound and My Head is an Animal, hadn't impressed me nearly as much but at least solidified my belief that OMAM had a defined sound and that I liked it.

I finally got around to listening to the whole album yesterday and I remain impressed. I don't know exactly what the hell is going on in pop music these days but I am aware that there's a bizarre electro-folk movement going on and I've got to say I approve. My Head is an Animal is folk music if folk musicians had access to affordable mixing and unusual instruments.

The Icelandic group recorded the album at Studio Sryland and, while I don't read Icelandic well enough to really tell, it looks like the studio did them a good service; it seems like their various studios are all pretty large and may be the reason for the big, glassy, echoing, ethereal sound of the album. The music is technically sweet but also otherworldly and soothing - it makes sense that these are songs about the sea and magical animals and adventurous love because they sound like they're supposed to be. It's a great combination of lyrics, composition, and sound that comes together to make a wonderful album that takes you away from wherever you are.

A fun note here: one of the only reasons that I saw The Secret Life of Walter Mitty last December is because of the heavy use of My Head is an Animal in the promos and the movie - it's exactly the right music to match up with a quest for yourself through wide open spaces and strange adventures.

Thumbs up, A Plus, and right on - Of Monsters and Men made a really strong debut album with My Head is an Animal and I'm really looking forward to whatever they put out next. I'll be listening for it and I bet I'll be happy when I hear it.

Cheers,
     - Alli

No comments:

Post a Comment